Employment and Lunatech
Lunatech Research is constantly on the lookout for eager and bright Information Technology professionals with skills in programming or commercial activities. Whether developing new product lines or working within existing teams, Lunatech will provide you with the challenge and freedom to deliver. If you demand an intellectual challenge and want to work with the latest technologies, Lunatech could be for you.
Web developer vacancy
At Lunatech, every team member writes code and cares about using the right technology and using it well. You won’t work for a project manager in a suit who doesn't write code because we don't have any of those: senior developers have part-time responsibility for running agile software development.
- Writing good code that other programmers respect you for
- Learning so fast that you can use better technology every time
- Building web applications using modern web frameworks
Nice to have
- Writing skills
- Front-end design
- Devops and cloud deployment
We’re looking for someone who is smart and gets things done, with additional skills that broaden the team in unexpected ways.
Successful applicants will work in a productive environment with excellent tools, a diverse team and as much freedom and responsibility as you can handle. You will write code using IntelliJ IDEA or Eclipse on a new MacBook Pro (8GB, SSD) that runs on Ubuntu servers. You will build applications with Java, Scala, CoffeeScript, JQuery, Backbone, Play and similar.
Unsuccessful applicants will probably end up working on-site for 40 hours per week, wearing a tie and using Windows on a second-hand Dell laptop.
Send your CV to email@example.com, along with links to your GitHub, Stack Overflow, Twitter and LinkedIn profiles if you have them, and your portfolio.
Junior Front-end developer
Working for Lunatech
Lunatech, founded in 1993, has had yet another great year of building web sites and applications. Having completed large projects building modern desktop and mobile (web) applications we’re looking for a junior front-end developer to help our developers integrate design in to our web sites and applications.
You’ll be creating the front-end for (mobile) web sites and applications from scratch as well as adapting current projects to meet today’s standards. You’ll get room to grow by designing and creating new user interfaces from a code and usability point of view.
What we are looking for
- Knowledge of web stack libraries like jQuery, Twitter Bootstrap etc.
- Passionate about web standards and usability
- Up-to-date in current techniques like adaptive web design
- Ability to communicate with developers and designers on how front-end is implemented
- Current on upcoming developments in front-end technology.
- Proficient in written and spoken English.
What we are offering
We’re situated in a beautiful building on the Heemraadsingel in Rotterdam. Our colleagues from all around the world make it a very relaxed atmosphere to work in.
You get to set up your own working environment. Most us work on MacBook Pros, but the choice is yours. You will get to work on projects small (fun) and large (challenging). Learning is encouraged and actively supported. Being good at what you do is important to us.
Send your CV
Send us your CV with motivation to Egor Kloos (firstname.lastname@example.org), we’re looking forward to hearing from you. If you have any web sites to show us, including your own blog or portfolio, please include these links in your CV.
Internship in software development
Lunatech is currently accepting applications for software development internships. If you feel you have the talent, the work ethic and the wish to work with us, please contact email@example.com.
Candidates should be well motivated, adept at multi-tasking and be willing to take on some management responsibility for projects. Good communication in Dutch and English, spoken as well as written is a requirement. Ability to perform well in a high pressure environment and a healthy respect for the word 'work' is essential.
Successful candidates understand ideas and implementation, corporate and inside-the-box thinking, blue-skies research and operational projects. It is a fun team and we expect the two drink minimum to be observed.
Technical skills requirements
A rocket scientist - unless you can prove yourself to be in the top 5% of your class else it is not worth applying.
For technical positions, we also require:
- good object-oriented design and implementation skills
- practical of web application development technologies
- knowledge of relational databases and SQL (PostgreSQL or MongoDB is a plus)
- knowledge in working with Unix-based systems
- affinity with the open-source programming mindset.
Tasks and goals
The internship consists of working as part of Lunatech's development team, in the Rotterdam office, working to achieve the following goals.
- Contribute to one or more Lunatech software development projects, to develop commercial Internet (e.g. web) application software either as part of existing product research or for software for internal use.
- Learn how to improve and apply software development skills in more than one area, such as: coding, Java/Scala APIs, functional design, user-interface design, database design and data modeling, architectural design, issue tracking, project documentation, software development methodology, software quality control, and software testing.
- Learn, participate in and contribute to Lunatech's software development process.
The intern will begin with a smaller task, usually working with a colleague, that can be completed within three to four weeks, in order to establish appropriate expectations on both sides and to provide an easy situation to start in.
Interns are expected to gain practical experience in a mix of the following areas of Lunatech's expertise, depending on the project and personal preference. Most are optional, except for coding.
- Java/Scala APIs
- Functional design
- User-interface design
- Database design and data modelling
- Architectural design
- Issue tracking
- Project documentation
- Software development methodology
- Software quality control
- Software testing
Interns are expected to agree a (draft) list of deliverables at the start of their assignment, depending on whether the internship is intended to be a single project, or general work-experience.
- Up-to-date intranet wiki page for the assignment(s).
- Source code, added to the Lunatech GitHub repository.
- High-level functional design documentation, in the wiki, for the assignment(s).
- High-level technical documentation, in the wiki, for the assignment(s).
- Task break-down and progress, in JIRA.
- Working software, running on the Lunatech intranet.
- Project presentations to colleagues.
- Released open-source project.